How to Clean Cane and Rattan Furniture
Cane and rattan furniture can look challenging to clean which may put some people off purchasing it. However, when it is maintained regularly, just like anything else in the house, then it can actually be fairly easy to clean.
What is Cane & Rattan
Photo attribution: Clivid
Cane and rattan actually come from the same tree but cane furniture is made by peeling off the skin of the rattan vine and then wrapping it around a solid hardwood, aluminium or steel frame. Rattan, on the other hand, is made just from the plant itself and is known to be one of the strongest and most durable woods available.
How to Clean
The key to keeping this furniture in good shape is by cleaning it regularly just how you would hoover your carpets or wash your sheets to keep them in good condition. These are some steps you should follow to ensure your furniture lasts as long as possible. Once a week you should hoover your furniture with the soft brush attachment and then once a month you should complete a deeper clean. This deeper clean can be completed in 5 simple steps.
- Vacuum your furniture before starting your deep clean.
- Get yourself a bowl of lukewarm water with washing up liquid and stir vigorously until there are lots of suds.
- Dip a cloth into your mixture and wipe down your furniture without getting it too wet.
- To get into the small gaps you can use a toothbrush which is dipped into the liquid too.
- Once it is clean, dry it with a cloth and don’t use it again until it is completely dry. Cleaning it on a sunny day will speed the drying process up and ensure the material doesn’t get mouldy.
Restoring the Furniture
After years of use, unfortunately, your cane and rattan furniture will begin to look a bit shabby. This does not mean it is time to chuck them out though, it means it is time to restore the furniture.
- Purchase boiled linseed oil, you don’t need to boil it yourself
- Dip a soft cloth into the liquid
- Apply it to the furniture until it will no longer absorb any more
- Wipe it clean with a clean soft cloth
- Allow it to dry or harden before using the furniture again
If you are looking for some more advice on how to care for your cane or rattan furniture then give our team a call on 0116 2366 726 or fill out our online contact form.